Tuesday, April 15, 2008

some thoughts about the road..

So I've been reading On the Road by Jack Kerouacwhose name I can easily spell thanks to a boogie hustler lyric. The book is the most well-known of a series of novels telling of Kerouac's extensive travels across the country. I started reading it to try and make some sense of the seemingly random travels I've been on with Busta Rhymes over the last eight months. I must say that I was working most of the time, and really only had very brief glimpses of what Kerouac experienced. Still, the spontaneity of it all excited me. There was something special, romantic even, about never knowing where I'd be in a day's time, constantly meeting new people and seeing new places.

I had the same feeling when I went backpacking in europe a few years ago with my college roomate Ben. Sleeping in hostels in foreign countries, I dreamt of just traveling the world with no real destination in mind. I wanted to travel simply to travel and see as much as I could. So naturally, I was pumped about heading to the UK with my family only a month after getting back from europe. After that, I was home for almost exactly one year, before taking off with Busta from August until the end of March, then moved into an apartment in Brooklyn April 1st.  There was also a trip to puerto rico with my friend Marty squeezed in there at the end of February. And just this past weekend I went on a road trip to the midwest with chris renne and mary niewola.

So I've been doing a lot of traveling, and I believe it's been life-changing somehow. But despite my enjoyment of it all, there's always been something in the back of my mind calling it all a waste.  Gathering all these unique experiences has been exhilarating, but when all my meetings are in passing, what is gained? It's a search for something I can't quite put my finger on, but still want to find. Perhaps the answer is at the end of On the Road, but I doubt it. As for now I have no immediate plans to travel anywhere at all. Instead I plan on getting to intimately know NYC, my new home, which is quite possibly the greatest city in the world, and has been at my doorstep this whole time.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, but I felt like getting these thoughts out in some kind of medium. I hope I haven't bored anyone. If you've been on a cool trip lately, leave a comment.

2 comments:

chrisrenne said...

i thought i was on a cool trip recently, but then someone said it was a waste. then i thought about it, and it kinda was. hahaha.

blah said...

i just realized that i haven't read your blog since your march post about 10 grand in cash. forgive me, there's no excuse but i'm reading them all now and that is super exciting.

this update is awesome. traveling like you have been is not a waste at all. it would only be a waste if you were to forget where you've been and what you've done. just by writing about it here is proof that you haven't. and if you are going to stay in one spot for awhile while trying to continue to discover new places and new people, NYC is the greatest choice in the world.

ok time to read the next post.