Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Table for One

I'm writing this from a starbucks in chinatown, where I have a session in a couple hours. (in chinatown, not at starbucks). I got here early because I wasn't sure where exactly the studio is, but as soon as I exited the Subway and got to street level, I saw the building right across canal street. So now I suddenly had about 3 hours to kill before getting to the studio early. What to do what to do.. I walked around the block a few times, just taking in the sights and the sounds and the smells, making eye contact multiple times with the same people as I traced and retraced my steps around this one block. I'm sure these few people where wondering what the hell I was doing exactly. After a few rounds of this I decided I would get some food. I am in chinatown after all, and figured the chinese food must be pretty good anywhere you go. I've eaten in this part of town a couple times before and have never been disappointed.



Eventually I found a place called Excellent Dumpling House on Lafayette Street. I walked in and the hostess greeted me and said "One?" I replied "Yes, thank you," and was immediately led to a round table in the back where three other people were sitting. By the time I was able to give a confused look to the waiter who sat me there, he was gone and there was a menu in front of me. Apparently at this particular excellent dumpling house, a table for one means a table with all the other solo diners there. Now I've been to other places where you sit and eat with strangers, like at Whole Foods for example. Except there, you can decide where you want to sit, like next to that cute girl eating sushi. Here, they sit you right where they want you, at a circular table where a bunch of strangers face each other unwillingly and slurp down noodles and soup and what have you. I'm pretty sure the guy across from me scoffed when I asked for a fork to eat my fried rice. Whatever man, at least I'm not here alone. Oh wait. This all while the woman directly to my left is sniffling because her soup is too spicy, which in combination with her also SLURPING her soup into her mouth made for a fantastic annoyance. I answered my cell phone right at the table when it rang, not caring whether these people were bothered. It was an interesting meal. But yes, the food was excellent.

2 comments:

chrisrenne said...

that's my boy. awesome.

blah said...

hahah that's great